Many of you know that I have a problem with preseason national rankings and national rankings in general. You may remember last year that we waited until mid-September before releasing our first Top 25.
This year, I’ve had so many requests to do a High School Football America Top 25 before the start of the season, I’ve decided to do one – BUT REMEMBER – it’s all for fun and nothing takes the place of the games on the field.
So with all that out of the way, here’s how we see things heading into 2013.
Allen, which last year shared our mythical national championship with John Curtis (Louisiana), starts the season as our top-ranked team. The Eagles get the top slot thanks to the return of junior quarterback Kyler Murray, plus some key returners on both sides of the ball, although the team did lose 56 lettermen. Murray, a dual-threat QB has already gotten offers from Texas A&M and Texas, plus TCU, Clemson and Ohio St.
Will the Eagles be able to live-up to the preseason #1 ranking? The answer should come in the first two weeks with a road game against Southlake Carroll in Week 1, followed by Class 5A Division 2 runner-up Cedar Hill the following week. Allen will also face Coppell, the only team to beat them last year, on September 27th – Coppell is ranked #10 in our preseason poll.
Allen and Coppell are two of four Texas teams in the Top 25 – defending Class 5A Division 2 champ Katy is #7 and DeSoto is ranked #20.
California is the most represented state with six teams. For those of you ready to ask, no I don’t have a California bias. The Golden State is loaded with returning talent, which should make for a fun season.
Speaking of lots of returning talent, Florida lands three teams with tons of returning talent in the Top 25.
Finally, defending 2012 High School Football America co-champion John Curtis has plenty of solid returning talent to garner the #3 preseason ranking. With out-of-state games against #14 St. Thomas Aquinas (Florida) and Bergen Catholic (New Jersey), the Patriots can begin dreaming about another national title with wins in those games in Weeks 1 and 2. JC also will play defending Louisiana 4A champ Edna Karr this year in Week 4.
So without further ado….here’s the Top 25 with last year’s record and the team’s final High School Football America 2012 ranking.
- Allen (Texas) 15-1, LY: Tied #1
- De La Salle (California) 16-0, LY: #4
- John Curtis (Louisiana) 14-0, LY: Tied #1
- Norcross (Georgia) 15-0, LY: #8
- Corona Centennial (California) 14-2, LY: #17
- Booker T. Washington (Florida) 13-1, LY: #25
- Katy (Texas) 16-0, LY: #5
- Miami Central (Florida) 12-2, LY: #21
- St. John Bosco (California) 8-5, LY: NR
- Coppell (Texas) 11-1, LY: NR
- DeMatha (Maryland) 9-3, LY: NR
- Paramus Catholic (New Jersey) 10-2, LY: NR
- Bishop Gorman (Nevada) 13-1, LY: #14
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Florida) 13-2, LY: #16
- Long Beach Poly (California) 12-4, LY: NR
- Good Counsel (Maryland) 11-1, LY: #15
- Ensworth (Tennessee) 13-0, LY: #12
- Hoover (Alabama) 16-0, LY: #6
- Serra (California) 14-2, LY: NR
- DeSoto (Texas) 14-1, LY: #9
- North Allegheny (Pennsylvania) 16-0, LY: #7
- Byrnes (South Carolina) 12-2, LY: NR
- Highlands (Kentucky) 14-1, LY: NR
- Bellevue (Washington) 14-0, LY: #3
- Sandy Creek (Georgia) 15-0, LY: NR
Latest posts by Jeff Fisher (see all)
- Stadium Project: Palo Alto Vikings Stadium (California) - July 23, 2017
- Trabuco Hills Mustangs 2017 schedule - July 23, 2017
- No. 2 QB Prospect Matt Corral commits to Florida - July 23, 2017