by Jason Strunk
Lubbock High School Head Football Coach
Sunday’s are not in full swing yet, as far as film break down of opponents etc. We are working but it isn’t the typical Sunday’s we will have once the regular season starts. So we used this Sunday to knockout some things for the last time before we roll into week one.
Our videographer/photographer, Abby Reed, stopped by to do some filming for our entrance video. It is pretty neat to watch all this come together. She does outstanding work. The staff has enjoyed it. We are tight knit, as Abby can vouch for, and we enjoy being around each other. That’s all you can ask for as a head coach: a staff that is genuinely appreciative of the relationships we have built with each other!
After the filming, we moved outside to shoot our video for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. What a great cause! The whole staff was involved and Abby did some great work on the video. Participating in this was a lot of fun. Tyler Trout, who just turned 30, did it with me. Jake Willingham, on his own accord, jumped in an ice barrel and had the other ice barrel dumped on top of him. He gave a great one liner to the camera while doing so.
Once we toweled off and warmed up, we watched the scrimmage film from Friday. We had already viewed it the day before. But you always go back over it as a full staff. We did some good things. By far the best scrimmage we have had since I arrived here. However, we have a lot of work to do. You cannot be content to be good; you need the want to be great! I think our kids are buying into that mantra. It’s fun to watch!
I’m just going to throw this out there for everyone. Football is fun! If you lose sight of that it’s time to hang up the whistle and HUDL remote. Interject some fun into practice. Kids are kids. You need to remember that. Before you say to me, “Losing isn’t fun”, you need to remember that you can get solid work done and have a little fun while doing so. Having a fun, spirited practice doesn’t mean your going to lose. All it means is you get kids and understand football is fun!
– The late James Gandolfini waved to me once while crossing a street in NYC.
– I cut part of my right index finger off in a bike chain in 7th grade. Its built character for me.
– I was signed, sealed and delivered to play baseball at the Citadel. Didn’t go. Poppa Strunk never lets me forget it. Says I could have been a General… Hysterically laughing about that right now.
– I am who I am. You cannot and will not change me. Deal with it.
That’s all she wrote, or I guess he (me) wrote.
Until next time… FIO. WHEN IN DOUBT FiGURE IT OUT!
Latest posts by Jeff Fisher (see all)
- Thousands Oaks Lancers 2017 schedule - July 20, 2017
- Talking Top 100 on High School Football America Radio Show - July 20, 2017
- Prosper (TX) to build $48 million dollar stadium - July 20, 2017