High school football in Georgia is back…at least the conditioning part of the sport.
On Thursday afternoon, the Georgia High School Association announced that beginning June 8, high school football teams across the state can start their summer conditioning. The plan only allows for conditioning, nothing else.
Below are the guidelines from the GHSA website:
Guidance for returning to conditioning on June 8, 2020 with recommendations and/or restrictions
- All summer work is voluntary.
- Schools/ School Systems may be more restrictive than the GHSA but not less.
- Workouts are conditioning only, no balls or sport specific equipment.
- Member schools should prepare an Infectious Disease Prevention Plan prior to staff and athletes returning to conditioning.
- It is recommended that staff and athletes are screened prior to each workout.
- Signage should be posted on site with the following:
- Do you or have you had a fever in the last week?
- Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Have you been in contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Have you traveled to a “hot spot” for COVID-19?
- Groups of 20, including coaches, for workouts per sport at any given time at the campus/facility.
- Groups should be the same individuals (including coaches) for each session to limit risk of exposure. Student or coaches CANNOT change groups for the duration of this guidance.
- No use of locker rooms or shower facilities. Students should report to the facility dressed to condition and shower at home.
- Weight equipment should be cleaned prior to each workout and sanitized between use by each student.
- Hand sanitizer should be plentiful and readily available.
- Each student should have their own personal water bottle. No use of water fountains or “water cows” is allowed.
- Side spots only in weight training, safety bars are preferred.
- Social distancing should be adhered to always and masks/face covering are recommended for the weight room.
- At least 15 minutes should be scheduled between groups to allow for disinfecting the facility.
- There is no competition allowed between schools.
- No visitors are allowed at conditioning sessions.
- Recommendations and restrictions are fluid and subject to change. Safety must be our top priority.