Rome beat Cherokee, ranked No. 20 in the High School Football America Georgia Top 25 powered by NFL Play Football, 27-7 Friday night at Barron Stadium. The Wolves avenged the Warriors’ 21-15 victory last year.
The loss was the first of the year for the Warriors, who are now 2-1 on the season. Rome improves to 2-0.
The game was the #Team11 Game of the Week and you can watch their highlights below.
Next-up, the Warriors will play county-foe Creekview in their first home game of the year next Friday. Creekview will bring a 2-0 record into the game at Tommy Baker Field. Creekview shutout Woodstock 48-0 Friday night.
Around the Region
While region play doesn’t open until October 1, it’s never too late to see how every school is playing.
- Alpharetta lost to nationally-ranked Grayson Friday night 42-6. The loss was the second straight for the Raiders, who fall to 1-2. Next up for Alpharetta is nationally-ranked North Cobb, No. 72 in the High School Football America 100.
- Etowah feel to 0-2 with a 22-7 loss to River Ridge Friday night. The Eagles play North Forsyth next Friday
- Milton, ranked No. 81 in our national rankings, beat Virginia’s Life Christian Academy 34-14. Virginia Tech-recruit Devin Farrell tossed four touchdown passes
- Roswell is 2-0, having a bye week this week. Next-up for the Hornets is a home game against North Paulding.
- Woodstock will look for its first win of the season when it plays Campbell Friday night. The Wolverines have been shutout in two of their three games.
How 2021 Non-Region Opponents Fared
- Cartersville (Sept. 17) is 3-0 after beating Alexander 42-14 Friday night. The Hurricanes are currently ranked No. 179 in our national rankings. This week, Cartersville will play nationally-ranked Creekside, which will move-up in the new Top 100 that will be released Sunday. Creekside beat No. 63 Westlake Friday night.
- Mays (won 52-6) is 0-2 after the Raiders bye week this week. Next up on Friday with be a non-region game against 2-1 Langston Hughes.
- Sequoyah bounced back from its one-point loss to the Warriors last week with a 37-23 win over Cass. The Chiefs are now 2-1.
- Rome (lost 27-7) will put its 2-0 record on the line next week against national ranked Collins Hill. The 3-0 Eagles are currently No. 51 in the nation.
Check-out the Cherokee Warriors website by clicking here
Editor’s Note: Hometown Team is a special feature created by High School Football America co-founders Jeff Fisher and Trish Hoffman to salute the community that HSFA is based in.