The lawyer for the two John Jay students who attacked an official told TEGNA partner KENS5 that they have been assigned to Northside Independent School District’s alternative high school for 75 days and are eligible to return to class at Jay High School starting Jan. 15.
The time they have spent in alternative school since the incident will count toward the 75 days.
Northside has said it cannot release the details of the punishment because of privacy laws.
Northside Independent School District is expected to determine the fate of the two John Jay football players who attacked a football official Wednesday.
Michael Moreno and Victor Rojas each had a disciplinary hearing Wednesday morning at the school district headquarters.
The options for discipline include expulsion to attending a disciplinary school. The players were suspended from school after the incident and then went to an alternative school for a week. Both were removed from the team. Their attorney, Jesse Hernandez, has said he thinks they have been punished enough already.
Hernandez told news reporters as he left the hearings that it has been “extremely difficult” for the players to be caught in limbo since the Sept. 4 incident and noted that Moreno, a senior, has had his “educational future” in doubt as he looks at colleges.
Earlier Wednesday, ESPN reported that assistant coach Mack Breed admitted to the school principal that he told the players to attack umpire Robert Watts because of racist remarks that Watts is alleged to have made and unfair calls. Through his attorney, Watts has denied making racist remarks.
Hernandez expressed outrage that the school district had never acknowledged it had evidence of Breed’s actions.
“We’re not happy that the school has known since Sept. 4 that the coach ordered them to do this,” Hernandez said. “They’ve just left the boys out there to hang.”
“The boys’ focus here was on accepting responsibility for their actions,” Hernandez said. “They’re not the type of kids to do something like this… They admitted it was something a coach directed them to do.”
He was asked why the two had decided to appear on national TV last week.
“We really felt that the boys were being vilified,” Hernandez said. “We wanted to give them a chance to give their side of the story.”
Northside Superintendent Brian Woods declined to comment on the hearing as he was leaving.
“I don’t comment on student discipline,” he told reporters camped outside. “Not sure why you’re reporting on student discipline.”
MORE JOHN JAY COVERAGE
Follow USA TODAY High School Sports on Twitter: @USATODAYhss