by Jason Strunk
Lubbock High School Head Football Coach
The Westerners hit the field Monday for day one of the 2014 season. Excitement and anticipation, that is the best way to sum up the hours leading into Day One. Then, just like that, it’s all over with! It’s a strange occurrence that happens every year. After nineteen years of this, it’s just part of the routine.
Practice kicked off at 7pm. It’s a nice change up practicing at night. Cooler temps. But it’s also around the same time we will be playing so I like that. I’m all about game simulation for me. Why not practice at the time when you will be playing? It works for me!
For most of this week we will be in just helmets. Friday, following our four day acclimation period, we will be in full gear. I think this is why I don’t get too wound up for the first day anymore. There is no hitting. We used to be full pads from the start when I played. Smacking each other around was a great way to start the year. But different times call for different methods (although I think this makes us weaker as a society).
Day One was solid for us. The tempo was there. Kick game was impressive. Yes, we stress kick game. Every practice starts with PAT/FG; every practice ends the same way. I love it. Offense moved at a good clip. Defense? No pads, no hitting. No fun! But they flew around. Camp really starts Friday for the defense.
GOT SOME HEIGHT:
Between Jordan High, Devontae Greathouse, Jacob Bayouth and Terik Witt we may have the tallest set of receivers in West Texas. 6’4″ plus is the size of these fellas. They are big. Good sets of hands too. I am really excited about this crew.
ON THE MEND:
QB James Garcia looked solid today. He is an athlete. I don’t see any mobility issues coming off his ACL tear last season. In six quarters last year he lead us to seventy-five points. Hoping he can keep that pace over the course of the season. He is a good one!
DEFENSE GETTING DEFENSIVE:
No gear Monday, but watching LB Steven Duke, DB Kristian Johnson and DE Tommy Najera run around has me excited. These guys have a lot to prove and they came with a chip on their shoulder today. As a coach, I love it! We need an edge in defense. Those cats will supply it!
– Some of the staff has grown ugly mustaches. It’s a bad look. But if it helps us win I am all for it. Nate Gensler, Nate Jephcott and Tyler Trout need to FIO! Bad look, guys.
– New coach Tyler Lloyd used to be a body builder. Yeah, he has been hazed for this former life.
– The Yankees won today. They may actually win sixty games this year.
– I see Johnny Manziel took reps with the first team. Observation: I didn’t know the Browns had a team again. Seriously, I wish the kid all the best. Tremendous athlete. Should be fun to watch!
– Texas High School Football is the best… FACT
All done for the day. Till next time…