by Jason Strunk
Lubbock High School Head Football Coach
It’s the day before the first scrimmage. It is amazing how quick the season jumps on you. It seems like yesterday we were just packing up the gear from the last game of 2013. Time really flies by. I love it though. There is no better time than football season. For me, football season is better than any holiday season. I may catch flack for that, but I am good with it. I have big shoulders. I know what I love and it is football season. Criticize me all you want, but I will take football over holiday’s any day of the week.
So what does a team do before its first scrimmage? Well for us, it is business as usual. By that I mean we approach scrimmages just like games. The day before is all about personnel checks, run through the game plan, final tune ups and last minute adjustments. It’s kind of a ho-hum practice but it is essential. It’s the last rehearsal before the big show. This is the time to clean up and get it right.
We know what we are going to do tomorrow. It’s a simple plan. I don’t out any stock into the outcome of scrimmages. You can score ten times on us. Doesn’t matter. We can score ten times. Doesn’t matter. I know what I am looking for and the score isn’t that. I know what I use to measure scrimmage success. I will know tomorrow where we are at.
That’s all I have for today. Pretty uneventful. Tomorrow will be far from the norm. It’s kind of game day. I’m just excited to tee it up against someone in a different color jersey.
– I never discuss playing time with parents. Game or scrimmage, it doesn’t matter. Future head coaches, take this advice and run with it. Do not set yourself up for failure.
– Parts of the movie “School Ties” was filmed in my hometown, Northampton. Pennsylvania. Outstanding movie!
– LHS will flash new helmet decals this season. They should arrive next week.
– If I could bat against one MLB pitcher, it would be Roger Clemens.
– HOF WR Andre Reed is from Allentown, Pennsylvania. He went to Dieruff High School and played at Kutztown University. Sense of pride with his induction.
That is all she wrote. Stay tuned for a different type of blog tomorrow. I am going to write about my perspective from the head coaches seat compared to the assistant coach seat. Pretty unique view points. I will share.
Until tomorrow… FIO or be lost forever.